an organization in terms of its elements
very good picture of an organization can be produced by defining it in terms of
its elements. In this example, the analysis of each element is restricted to
one or two brief points. In an
actual case each individual element could be
discussed within a paragraph, page or complete report. An assessment of each
element is not made at this stage - this occurs when the issues are considered
more fully (example 3).
- Registered name: Ashley Home Furnishings Limited. Trading name:
- Private, family owned business.
- The percentage of repeat or recommended customers.
- Distinctive shop front and staff uniform and a friendly and relaxed
Raison d'etre - The provision of well designed and produced furniture, furnishings and
- Not allow price to compromise quality.
All employees share in the success of the business.
- A store in every major UK city within 10 years.
- To double the size of the business in three years by organic growth (rather
than by takeovers).
- Pay suppliers within 30 days. Refund money to customers without
market - Middle-class,
deployment - Three stores and a warehouse in the south-east of England.
composition - Sales
departments, back office, warehouse, delivery, personnel, IT.
- Manager, sales person, supervisor, buyer, accountant, warehouseman,
shop floor, warehouse, buyer's office, returns desk, delivery trucks.
- Managing director, store manager, department managers, supervisors, sales
infrastructure - Suppliers,
chamber of commerce, local government, press.
- The Ashley family, directors, various individuals.
- Chairman, MD, directors, store managers, warehouse manager, senior
buyer, personnel manager.
- Sales staff, warehousemen, secretaries, delivery drivers.
mail order, Internet.
- Individuals, families, small businesses, hotels.
furniture makers, 3 carpet suppliers, 4 fabric wholesalers, 2 office suppliers,
4 IT suppliers.
Partners - Brown's Emporium (for training purposes), Kingston Design Centre.
living near stores, other businesses in the vicinity of each store.
of employees, suppliers to the suppliers of Ashleys.
and buildings - Freehold of three stores, leasehold of warehouse with another three
acres of land.
system, IT systems, warehouse handling systems, trucks.
property - The
company's name and logo. The designs that it produces for customers.
customers, suppliers, employees, sales, orders, financial.
buying, negotiating, computing, managing.
- To present an ambience of luxury, quality and professional service.
suppliers, local government departments, local press.
resources - Working
capital, investments, loans.
- Buying, selling, warehousing, delivering, invoicing.
personnel, marketing and advertising, IT, staff restaurant.
meetings, strategy planning, formulating staff objectives, reviewing salaries.
annual financial returns, Health & Safety checks, minimum wage returns.
party for employees' children, staff days out, sponsoring local hospital radio
- Furniture, carpets, decor (curtains, lighting, pictures).
delivery of furniture, alterations and modifications.
and pressures - Availability
of suitable staff, Green issues, planning regulations.
and threats - Loss of computer data, fire, loss of chief buyer,
higher interest rates.
Opportunities - Furnishing offices, catalogue on the
Internet, selling to well off retired people.
Competitors - Quality stores in London such as Harrods. Small firms of craftsmen.
style - Not very visible, but interested in the welfare of staff.
and customs - - Staff
associate outside work, friendly atmosphere, high standard of manners.
to work - Most
staff enthusiastic, low absenteeism, staff resist change.
Benefits and perks - Good
staff discounts, private health cover for management, pension scheme.
development - Standard
courses, ad hoc courses, yearly training reviews of staff.
Scale - Three
stores, employing approximately 350 people.
Efficiency - Sales per square foot, sales per employee.
Empathy - Number of customer complaints, time to pay suppliers, care of
Innovation - The speed at which new working practices can be introduced.
Financial - Balance sheet, profit & loss account, various ratios
(sales/employee, sales/overhead, etc.).